Day 3, Lent 2024: Not who we are ... but whose we are
Sometimes I forget how undeserving I am - and how patient God has been with me.
I can take for granted the mercy and loving-kindness I experience every day. Yet my salvation and my hope was won by the life and death of Jesus.
Lent reminds me that our relationship with God doesn't rest on our own works, our ability to pull up our socks, or our grit. We don't have access to God because of our own determination to be saved. Instead, He is at work in us day after day, to reconcile us to himself.
Paul exclaims: "You surely don't think much of God's wonderful goodness or of his patience and willingness to put up with you. Don't you know that the reason God is good to you is because he wants you to turn to him?" (Romans 2:4 CEV)
Challenge: What do I need to forgive? leave behind? or turn away from, in order to turn my heart toward God's goodness?
