Lent Day 38: Who cares what's true anyway?
“Am I a Jew?” Pilate asked Jesus. “Your own people and chief priests handed you over to me. What have you done?”
Jesus said, “My kingdom is not from this world. If it were, those who serve me would fight. They would try to keep the Jewish leaders from arresting me. My kingdom is from another place.”
“So you are a king, then!” said Pilate.
Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, that’s the reason I was born. I was born and came into the world to be a witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of truth listens to me.”
“What is truth?” Pilate replied. Then Pilate went out again to the Jews gathered there. He said, “I find no basis for any charge against him..." John 18:35-38
There have always been false accusations. They're most effective when they contain a grain of truth.
Maybe someone's been attacking you, without checking the facts. Or maybe they're trying to take you down.
Good things don't always happen to good people. Jesus knows what you're going through.
Those who brought Jesus to the Roman governor had no authority to put someone to death. But they were sure of their goal. "Crucify him! Crucify him!" they incited a mob to say.
Pilate, who was politically savvy, handed Jesus over to the local authorities. He didn't care about justice and he sure didn't care about hurting Jesus.
"What is truth?" he scoffed. And he let his soldiers beat and crucify Jesus.
Maybe you or someone you know does the same thing Pilate did. You don't want to bother with the claims of Jesus. You shrug him off. And you don't care what happens to the other person.
Challenge: You get to choose for or against truth. And your choice will matter, not just to you but to others. What do you choose today?