Lent Day 22: Jesus our Guardian (2017)
You were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls. 1 Peter 2:25
Jesus watches over us - and guards our journey. Our souls - the interior lives that we hide from others - are utterly known to him. We can commit ourselves to following him in complete safety: he loves us ... even knowing who we are in our deepest joys, pains, attitudes, and actions.
Jesus' protection over us parallels God's care for Israel: In his love and mercy the Lord redeemed them; he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old. Isaiah 63:9 NIV
SELF-ASSESSMENT: Do I trust God with my secrets? Do I believe he loves me, knowing who I am in the parts of life I protect or hide from others?
How can I move toward complete trust and confidence in Jesus as the guardian of my soul?
Prayer: Lord, your light we see through the stormy night, beckoning and giving us hope. You offer warmth and comfort greater than we now know, or can imagine. In hope, we move towards you. In love, you offer peace. Amen.
