Lent 26. Jesus: Friend of sinners

This Lent, we spotlight qualities of Jesus as our model as well as our Savior and Lord.

--- JESUS IS THE FRIEND OF SINNERS ---

 When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” Matthew 2:16-17
Jesus is the friend of sinners. I know this because he is my friend. And I am constantly sinning against the perfect character of God and the people around me.
The joy of going to church is knowing that I am welcomed among sinners. Those in front, beside, and behind me are equally loved by God. Regardless of our status, skin color, education, or salary - or the lack thereof, we are the beloved of Jesus, who befriends sinners.
SELF-ASSESSMENT: Are you a good friend to yourself, knowing who you are deep inside? Are you a friend to others who may be considered outsiders or on the margins?
Looking at those nearby, who needs friends like Jesus and an "accepting" you?

Popular posts from this blog

Lent Day 23: A life in hiding

Lent Day 39: Sentenced for your crimes and mine

Lent Day 31, 2024: Pruning that profits us