Lent Day 15: Life without fear


Are you afraid when storms come?

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do

with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
1 John 4:18

I'm occasionally worried or fearful. Sometimes when the house creaks, when a lizard runs across the floor in front of me in the dark, or when I'm facing an unexpected cultural barrier, I feel a shiver run across my heart.

The audacious love of God that lived in Jesus prevented him from being controlled by fear. I can't imagine how paralyzed I would be, thinking of dying a horrible death to pay our debt of sin. But even when he begged his Heavenly Father to redeem the world another way besides the cross, when he knew he was going to die, Jesus chose the path of love. His heart was bolstered by confidence in God. 

I want to live that way, don't you?

Popular posts from this blog

Lent Day 23: A life in hiding

Lent Day 39: Sentenced for your crimes and mine

Lent Day 31, 2024: Pruning that profits us