Bare the bookcases!

We picked up a 5'X5'X5' U-shaped bookcase a few years ago when the bookstore remodeled. Five wood shelves wrapped three sides, about thirteen feet of storage on each tier. Perfect for collecting stuff in a temporary home.

I've been redefining the principle bedroom to be about sleeping rather than containing bits of all of life. We had current study books, bedtime snacks, electronic gear, etc. stashed on it. The shelves had to go. (We have six 2.5'X7' bookcases behind the bed. That ought to be enough book storage for a bedroom!)

I showed the unit to my daughter-in-law-to-be yesterday. "Sure, I'll take them." In no time, the shelves were bare. Stuff on the bed. Stuff on the floor. Stuff left from previous pare-downs and several declutter sessions, waiting to be sorted.

W knocked the shelves apart so Rebekah could put them in her truck and haul them off to Jeremy's. She likes to build, so will have them together in a jiffy. Plus, the couple is combining households. The storage will be well-used.

This morning, I have a corner with nothing in it. Breathing space. The floor is almost cleared again, with a few piles of books to give away, and a few things that belong elsewhere. Seems the more stuff I rehome, the more I realize how much we accumulated over the years. What were we thinking?!

Popular posts from this blog

Lent Day 23: A life in hiding

Lent Day 39: Sentenced for your crimes and mine

Lent Day 31, 2024: Pruning that profits us